It's a thin line




Some comments on my work at my easter exhibition once again made me think about realistic - photorealistic and even hyperrealistic artwork.

The comments were, that people thought, seeing my artwork from a little distance, that some of it were photography. I am happy they said so, because I know what they mean. They were amazed of it.

Yet, I was pleased, that getting closer, they realized (by themselves) that it was drawings or paintings.

When I see photorealistic work - I mean, where the only way I can tell it is not a photo, is because the artist wrote or told, that it is acrylics, oils, watercolor or whatever - I am stunned, how technical superior those artists are, in handling their media. It is truly amazing.

But, I do not want to draw or paint that realistic myself. I want people to realize, when looking closer, that it is a drawing or a painting. I want a kind of artistic "doodle" that shows; this is not a photo. I want them to know, that this image is made-up and made by a human mind and hand. Even photoreference are much used (as those animals won't stand still :)), I cannot believe some people think of it as copying. My artwork are filtered through my eyes, feelings and a wish to show you: see what I see - do you relate too? It is also handdrawn, handpainted and has taken many thoughts, reflections and a bit of my soul into it ;) I am sure the photorealistic artists do too :)

It is a thin line. Because I don't either wanna disturb a drawing or painting with some out-of-place lines or marks. I'll keep trying. Drawing and painting realism to be realistic, but with my artistic fingerprint on it, beside the pure technical aspects.

I think this line-walking is also a reason why I love to do some looser work in between. But I wouldn't miss my realistic approach.
The artwork people believed to be photos - at a distance, remember you sit close to a monitor :) - was, from top: "The little One". "Great Dane". "Gentle giants".
And then take a look at what I call hyperphotorealism. It is by Dennis Peterson, and painted with gouache. You won't believe it :)

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. I often feel the same way, I love realism, but I want it to have my own stamp, my 'style' I guess you could say. And I think your work is my favorite kind of realism, it looks real, feels real, so much so that it gets you in the heart, makes me feel something about what it is you created. A fine line indeed, but one you are doing exceptionally well in my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much for comment, and the nice words about my artwork :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your name in comments, thanks